Skip to main content

New thing

Saturday nights in our house are not typical of other peoples Saturday nights.

A wild party could be going on but, at 8pm, the party stops and the books come out. Its a thing.

Well, last night, I wasn't in the form for reading. I had a thing I was itching to try.

On a whim I bought a mosaic coaster kit from Hobbycraft in the shape of a bee. I really like it, its cute and pretty.

However, I didn't want this one to be a disaster, so I bought a practice. A flamingo.

Last night, I broke it out and starting my first ever mosaic piece:


It was fun but not perfect. My version looks nothing like the picture. But it was my first go so I'm sure with practice it'll get better.

I didn't have tweezers etc and was using my fingers to try and put the pieces in, I even resorted to scissors to force the bits into place. (NB, my philosophy is: If in doubt, use scissors. Be it gardening or crafting, scissors for everything!)

I put the grout on before I went to bed and it looked a bit better:



I think I made the grout too thin cuz it went everywhere! Its a bit like icing sugar I suppose, a teeny bit of water to start!

But, this morning I cleaned it off and my coaster is now in use! Not bad for a fiver and a first attempt, eh.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New and shiny!

 Since I finally finshed the socks, I decided that a somewhat quick knit was in order. From the depths of the living room stash I dug out a ball of Stylecraft Batik Swirl in Spring Garden. Nice, bright and cheerful. The plan for the was set in stone from the minute I clapped eyes on it -  Hitchiker! One day it was this size.... And the next it was this size... I think another few evenings sitting in the sun will have it finished.... then back to the wips :(

No rest for the wicked

 It's been a busy old couple of weeks here, with a few surprises thrown in too for good measure. Remember this photo of the living room stash? Unfortunately it hasn't decreased in size much BUT when the Let's Knit Together Facebook page asked for stash photos, I submitted this one.  In return, I won this: That was a lovely surprise, I tend not to win anything and everyone needs mugs!  The tote bag still hasn't found project yet, its actually sitting beside me at the minute calling out to me to  use it sooner rather than later. Alas, dear tote bag, that requires casting something on and Im not willing to do that just yet! I shall save you for something special. And yet, the prize wasn't the highlight of the past few weeks! 15 months after they were started, my brothers Christmas 2019 socks were finally finished. Im honestly not that bad about finishing projects. |The reason these took so long was because I hated the black, so much so that I tossed the rest of the bal...